Cruise Ship Assistant Photo Manager Production
The Assistant Photo Manager Production directly assists the Photo Manager in leading the operation to create warm and personal photography experiences that our guests can use to celebrate and share their cruise vacation. They accomplish this by training their teams of photo staff on how to capture and engage our guests in a variety of settings to produce high quality products sold in our Photography storefront. The Assistant Photo Manager Production primary responsibility is to oversee the entire Production and Lab operation of a multifaceted department that includes several different Photo businesses including Portrait, Souvenir and Wedding photography along with a full retail store and aiding the Photo Manager in administering all Photography and Lab Operation related training. Driving revenue and guest satisfaction in all department areas to achieve budgeted goals, with some involvement in day to day administration.
- Ensure Image Quality is always of the highest level, through monitoring, training, coaching, and developing the team, and leading by example.
- Ensure all photographs and all orders are printed in a timely manner, to the highest quality. Complete all necessary image enhancement and/or digital retouching work as required by the needs of the operation.
- Accountable for all departmental and shipboard environmental rules and regulations.
- Perform all required maintenance procedures on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, and report any problems to the Photo Manager immediately; troubleshoot and fix problems as they arise to maintain department operating capability.
- Monitor, troubleshoot and fix technical problems with digital photo kiosks, digital remote capture systems and other advanced technology, with the assistance of the onboard Systems Team.
- Supervise all portrait studio set-up operations, ensuring all studios are set up correctly, safely, and are open on time.
- Complete daily and weekly Image Count report paperwork, materials inventory, and any other reporting administration required by operation and the Photo Manager.
- Conduct MPEC with Manager supervision
- Successfully complete wedding event coverage, delivering excellent level service, product and sales.
- Observe each crew members performance using their position description and deliver prompt and appropriate coaching, correction, improvement, or reinforcement while providing support to all department staff where assistance is needed using a positive, enthusiastic “can do” approach.
- Deliver regular team training in conjunction with Photo Manager as well as one-on-one coaching sessions and use on-the-job coaching skills to continuously improve teams image quality and quantity and engagement as well as printing skills to drive revenue and guest satisfaction scores beyond budgeted goals.
- Collaborate with the leadership team to thoughtfully complete accurate, detailed, and timely appraisals to encourage their team to achieve established goals and objectives and to be prepared for advancement opportunities.
- Regularly recommends innovative shooting opportunities, products, and operational efficiencies to Photo Manager and respective Fleet Photo Manager. Collaborates with Photo Manager to determine best practices and preparedness for upcoming trades.
- Complete the master inventory every voyage with Assistant Manager Sales in an accurate and timely manner as per Operating Procedures, in order to track consumption. Inform Photo Manager in advance of increased stock usage that need to be externally ordered.
- Maintain an accurate equipment inventory (Lenses, Flashguns, Light Meters, Media, Studio gear etc.). Ensure Company issued equipment is being used, stored and accounted for correctly and per SOP guidelines. Perform Regular Inventory Checks for condition and presence. Inform Photo Manager of any findings. Manage equipment check-out/check-in per approved process.
- Ensures all loss prevention protocols are in place and comply with company policies and procedures.
- Print all department signage at request of Photo Manager and APM Sales and ensure accuracy, consistency and compliance with current corporate branding guidelines.
- Charge all pre-paid and house account charges in a timely and accurate manner each cruise (These duties to be carried out in conjunction with the Assistant Photo Manager Sales).
- Follow up on any guest requests/customer service issues referred from shore-side and report back with findings via email in a timely manner ASAP.
- Check company emails daily, responding when required in a timely and professional manner.
- Conduct educational seminars for guests to promote Photo Department services and products when required by the Photo Manager.
- Regularly review service procedures, and proactively find ways to improve service levels and prevent customer service issues from arising.
- Ensure continuous adherence of the whole team to company uniform, grooming standards and Platinum Standards & Impressions through monitoring, coaching and course correction as required.
- Always follow timekeeping rules and maintain accurate timesheet records.
- Monitor team timesheets for accuracy and compliance with company regulations.
- Photograph any event or Portrait location as required by the Photo Manager.
- Administer any required and relevant offloads.
- Attend drills and training sessions as required.
- Promote the Photo Department through onboard functions (VIP party, Latitudes party, Photo events etc.) and by way of positive guest interactions whenever in public areas.
- Act as Manager on Duty for Photo Gallery and Photo Events
- Construct positive working relationships with other department heads onboard and liaise with them to assist with guest service requests, internal activities and cross-promotions and photo coverage/opportunities.
- Ensure departmental compliance to all hotel practices and shipboard operations by reporting to the Photo Manager any non-compliant practice.
- Report any system issues to Systems Manager and notify Photo Manager.
- Ensure only English to be spoken with other crew members in any workspaces or Guest areas including the Photo Lab.
- Act as Safety Representative for the Photo Department.
- Minimum one-year supervisory experience in a digital photographic laboratory and production experience is required.
- Minimum one-year experience as a shipboard photographer is required.
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint; Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and MXP are required.
- Knowledge and experience to operate/troubleshoot and maintain other advanced computer systems such as photo booths, touch-screen kiosks, database systems and perform basic computer troubleshooting procedures is required.
- Must have available at least 1 x department approved camera body, maintained in full working condition at the owner’s expense.
- Bachelor’s Degree, professional certification or foreign equivalent from a recognized educational institution is required. Relevant experience may substitute for this educational requirement at an equivalent rate
- Possesses Coaching and Training Skills
- Thoroughly understands the Norwegian Cruise Line product and Photo Operations, products, and services; ensures staff’s understanding is equally thorough.
- Consistently communicates with tact and diplomacy at all levels.
- Willingness to embrace all company values.
- Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how best to achieve them to get the job done.
- Work with the Photo Manager to develop a positive, enthusiastic, and consistently highly motivated atmosphere within the team.